30 June 2011

First

Probably nobody who reads this will already know that I come from a family full of women who have never pierced their ears. As children, my three sisters and I naturally begged for pierced ears because everyone had them and earrings were so pretty and grown-up looking. 

But at some point the begging stopped and life moved on without little holes in our ears.

I honestly never think about my ears these days.

Well, my youngest and soon-to-wed sister has been thinking about hers. With her wedding just around the corner, she recently decided she'd go for it.  She's become the first one in the family to do it. It feels like a big deal and it feels mundane at the same time.

In the photo she's about to have her ears pierced. She's talking it over with the sales girl who will do it.

Meanwhile, my girls were completely taken in with the consumer wonderland aspect of the shop.

They had just about every kind of dress up thing a little girl could want.

It all went well and only a few minutes later we were at the other end of the mall where my sister selected some makeup, just another finishing touch for the big day.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you had a link to this on your other blog. I didn't know you and the girls were here already. If you have time let me know and we can try to get the girls together. We're pretty open and willing to meet anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rings for pierced ears are sooo much nicer than those rings that pinch on the outside of ears - forget what they are called.

    But ... when I was young ... only floozies had pierced ears. I kid you not. That was what I took from my environment. More. If you had pierced ears AND you chewed gum ... well well ... need I say more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marlena, good to hear from you. Yes, let's meet at a park soon!

    Julie, I think my parents must have been cut from the same cloth--they had deep reservations about my sister's decision.

    ReplyDelete