22 June 2010

The Awakening

One of the first things my parents told me about as we drove home from the airport was The Awakening--a huge sculpture in Chesterfield. Last year an outdoor sculpture exhibit went up just as I was moving to Beirut. I was scrambling to get everything done and never had a chance to see all the sculptures. The Awakening remains though, and it's in a perfect place for kids--between a park and a library. I guess the city bought it . . . ?

Anyway, The Awakening is five pieces--a hand, an arm, a face, a foot and a knee, emerging from the ground. It's as though a buried man is struggling to stand. The kids scampered all over it, which is allowed thankfully,


See what I mean?

Here's Stella climbing the knee. Danielle didn't feel like it.

Normally I don't have any pictures of myself to post, but my mom took this picture, so I have one and I'm very happy about that. Thanks mom!

This sculpture is also in a Washington DC park by the Potomac, I think. It's been years since I was there, so I can't remember. Probably it's in other places too, though I don't know for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment